I grew up with pets. We always had at least one dog and one cat during my childhood. I loved them. They were a source of comfort and a part of the family. But, now? I am not such a fan. We have a 19 year old cat whom Nurse Boy and I love and care for, but the kids find him to be a bit boring. Frankly, Mocha finds the kids to be a bit hyper.
Weekly, I am bombarded with questions of WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET A DOG? Even my parents think I am depriving my children of that special bond a kid has with their pet. But, I refuse to waiver.
Most of the time.
This is Bailey. She is my parents' dog. Whenever we stop by their house, she greets us with a wagging tail and those sweet eyes. She is great with my kids and adores Nurse Boy. She does not help my case.
Until my parents go on vacation and leave her with us. Oh sure, everyone says they will help take care of Bailey when she stays with us. But, I am sure no one will be surprised to hear that I am the one who seems to do most of the work.
She spent last weekend with us. The boys spent the weekend trying to convince me that we need a dog just like Bailey, while I was the one getting up early in the morning and standing in the backyard with her late at night. While she is sweet, this weekend only confirmed my stance.
No more wavering for me.
TOP TEN REASONS WE ARE NOT GETTING A DOG ANYTIME SOON
10. I like to wear black on occasion and I prefer not to resemble a walking lint brush.
9. I don't need every knock at the door to be followed by uncontrollable barking. I have excellent hearing, thankyouverymuch.
8. I like my food to be hairless. No, I don't think it adds "protein." Call me crazy.
7. Paw prints on my kitchen floor make me batty.
6. Don't even get me started on MUDDY paw prints.
5. I don't want to discuss the top of the line dog foods and how the best diets create less "waste." I live with a GI nurse and 2 boys. We have enough "poop talk" around here. And, yes, I have heard dog lovers discuss this more than once. Ew!
4. I don't need to be startled by barking every. single. time. someone, something, or some car passes by the house.
3. I don't need someone else to live here that can't feed, bathe, or clean up after themselves.
2. I enjoy my fair share of leisurely walks through the neighborhood. I don't enjoy turning 10 shades of red when my dog leaves a "gift" on my neighbor's lawn while we are chatting about the weather. I mean, who wants to be THAT woman? And, NO!, I don't want to scoop the fresh "gift" into a bag and carry it around the neighborhood.
1. Despite every one's promises, pinky swears, and hand on a stack of Bibles, we all know who would be doing all of the feeding, watering, walking, petting, brushing, etc. I already have a house full.
Yes, Bailey is sweet. But, she doesn't live here. Thank goodness. ;0)