~Poop On Jelly~

Our Family's Bitter/Sweet Life



Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Time for a Garage Sale!

Mrs. Nurse Boy here again.

I have a confession to make. I hate clutter. It sucks the life right out of me. Since we have three kids, it is impossible not to have clutter. Right now, it feels like I am swimming in clutter. I have two garage sales a year. Otherwise, we would be the next family featured on Clean House. I simply love that show!!! Those people are miracle workers sent here by the good Lord from above. They come into someone's home that resembles a dumpster (no exaggeration) and make it into a five star hotel. Amazing! It is so therapeutic watching that show. And, I must admit that Niecey CRACKS ME UP! What Nurse Boy doesn't realize is just how therapeutic it is for me to have these garage sales. I feel like I am taking back my house and adding to the household income at the same time. If you ask me, it is pure genius!

Nurse Boy HATES garage sales. I do love him dearly, but he complains the ENTIRE time we are preparing for the sale. The ENTIRE TIME! On the day of the sale he just can't believe the junk people buy. Let me just say, I am not a proud woman. I price my stuff to sell. You will never catch me telling someone how much I spent on an item and why I am unwilling to go down on the price. Did you say you were interested? Then it is SOLD! And, never will it enter my home again! Let us all rejoice!!! Man, I love garage sales!!

On the day of the sale, Nurse Boy will start counting the money every hour. As each hour goes by, he thinks I am more and more of a genius. By the end of the day, he is singing my praises. This happens twice a year, EVERY YEAR! You would think he could remember the whole extra money part from one sale to the next. Like I said, I do love him dearly.

So, we are preparing for tomorrow's sale at this very moment. I usually go through the kid's toys when they are sleeping or at a friend's house. I sneak in and clear out. This time I came up with what I thought was a much better plan. I would ask the boys to go through their toys and get rid of the items they no longer play with. I gave each of them a brown paper bag. I told them that if they could donate items they no longer use, I would reward them with some money to buy one new toy. Genius, right? Wrong!

Last night I went through their generous offerings. I found broken toys, trash, and pieces to toys we previously sold at the last garage sale. Wow, they are just so giving! On a positive note, they did clear the toy boxes of some unwanted trash.

So, here's to a great sale, making some money, and reclaiming my home!

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Mrs. Nurse Boy,
Here is the deal. Nurse boy is dealing with (or trying to avoid dealing with) the piles of what to us is junk. We don't sell stuff I want. It has been well documented that nurse boy does not have vision. He did not see any value in the home he is living in, he just saw work. He can't decorate, becasue that involves envisioning a room that is not there yet. He certainly did not see himself talking about himself in the third person in a comment on his own blog. So nurse boy can see how a pile of junk is going to make him money. Yes he will be suprised if by the end of this sale he has money. Right now there is not money in my walet, but there is a lot of junk in my trunk...and basement and garage.