~Poop On Jelly~

Our Family's Bitter/Sweet Life



Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Did Martha Washington Lose Sleep Over This?

Mrs. Nurse Boy here.


Today I will pose an age old question. The question that has raced through the minds of women for generations. (Maybe even some men, but certainly not my man.) The question that defines who you are when you look at your reflection. The question that women all over the world have taken a strong stance on:


Bangs or no bangs?


Yes, I am talking about hair. What, you were thinking something a little more... deep... intellectual... maybe even profound?


Are you new here? Have you read this blog before?


It is the question that haunts me every time I get my hair cut. It is the question that probably drives my hairdresser crazy every time I visit her. It is the very reason why I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. And, I tend to lean more on the hate side.

You see, the VERY MOMENT I decide to cut bangs, I know that I made a BIG MISTAKE. A mistake that will take at least a year to fix. That is , if and only if, I stick to my decision to grow them out. But, I am fickle. One month I want them, the next month I am growing them out, and the very next month I choose "long face framing" bangs.


Now, I have my own daughter's hair to stress over. Yet again, I am constantly mulling over: Bangs or no bangs?!


I have noticed that the women of Hollywood are no different. 2008 seemed to be the year of the bangs. All of the magazines were telling us that, "Bangs are in! Everyone is doing it!" Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, and many others joined in on this fad. As did I. The only difference? (Besides the lean, trim, personal trainer toned body, the perfectly glowing skin, and the regular shots of botox...) They have "hair people." When they are feeling fickle, they have extensions put in and hide their bangs. Not me. Nope. I have to grow those bad boys out for a year or more. No quick fixes for me.


So, how about you? Bangs or no bangs?


Now that I have that off of my chest, maybe I can focus on more important things, like...


Blue eyeshadow or stick with neutrals?


Or, how about the REAL question of the moment:


Will I really embrace the return of 80's fashion?


Yep. I am FULL of deep thoughts like that. You're welcome.

14 comments:

Kari said...

I was a no bang girl for over 15 years. I got my hair cut last year - donated it, so had to do a short bob - and I got bangs and LOVED them. I grew them out the past few months and went in a couple weeks ago and got more bangs. Can't live without them right now. The THING is you have to have a hairdresser that can cut bangs RIGHT or they do suck and you're stuck with yucky bangs until they grow out :o)
Blue eyeshadow never hurt anyone ;o) I'm having a hard time embracing some of the 80's - seriously a decade that lacked oompff in the fashion and architecture dept. I will say, though, long shirts are great to have around again. Got tired of mid-drifts. Blah!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I don't know how I found your blog, but it's adorable!
OK- I have HAD to have bangs for my entire life because of a syndrome I like to call "Frankenstien Forehead". I have no choice in the matter. My head would enter the room 4 minutes before the rest of my body if I did not have the bangs to camouflage the mountain. I have ALWAYS wanted to NOT have bangs. I push them to the side, kind of draped them behind an ear, but still used them to cover the extremities (sp?) of my Rushmore up there and done everything else you can think of. But, Alas, they remain. So the rest of the world will look at my in the eye... and not in the forehead.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

No bangs for me-I always regret it the next day. However-I heard if you have wrinkles, bangs could help cover. I am in the process of collecting wrinkles, but bangs are so much worse, for me!
Also, NOT gonna wear the eighty's clothes!! NOT!

Brandi said...

No bangs for me. I look like I'm 12 when I have bangs. Poor Daddy gets enough disapproving looks as it is. Uh, nooooo 80's ~ living through that once was enough to last a lifetime (and, I think I wore enough makeup for about 5 gals).

Jillian said...

i like bangs!! but they never look right on me:(

momstheword said...

well, I've had bangs forever it seems like.

Just sort of wispy bangs, not "serious" bangs. I doubt I will ever grow them out!

Suz said...

Hey there!

Long time yeh? I have struggled with the same? I've learned that if you want todays bangs don't ask for bangs, it is called a swoop. So, I got a swoop, I like it but still go through the styling delema some days.

I wore blue eyeshadow once. It was when I was wearing this real deep blue notty nighty.... I'll leave it at that.

Do you ever have the delema of shave or wax the bikini zone and how much to actually remove? From what I hear at work there are some pretty kinky styles there too. For me I'll stick with the hair a top my knoggin'

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

When we look back at the fashion of the 80's, we normally say "Ewww, I can't believe I wore that." Do we really want to watch "Napoleon Dynamite" for fashion tips?

On Stage said...

Personally, I have bangs to disguise my crooked eyebrows (which I am convinced is a birth defect and is not a result of over plucking). I have let the bangs grow out numerous times, but then I see a picture of myself and ask my husband, "Why didn't you remind me that I have wonky eyebrows?" He just rolls his eyes. Men, they just don't understand what's important!

Mother Mayhem said...

Bangs. Neutrals. No way am I embracing the 80's. :o)

I happen to think you look lovely in the hairstyle you are wearing in your side bar photo.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I have the worst time deciding on bangs or no bangs, but usually go with bangs because no bangs just makes my hair look....blah.

I think you would look great with bangs so ... go for it!

These are the important things of life indeed!

MotherT said...

I definitely am a no bangs person. My hair is super curly and frizzy when it is short, so the only way to keep it tame is to keep it long.

The only thing that makes me shudder worse than the 80's fashion is this 70's. Lived through them once, am not prepared to do that again!

Boy Mom said...

I let mine grow just till they get to that in between stage where they wont tuck and they're always in my eyes then I cut them myself, causing my hair dresser to ask, "What happened here darling?"

I am under the illusion that bangs make me look younger. Reality is I look like an aging momma with bangs, sigh!

Deb said...

Here's my problem: I look much better with bangs. Really, I do. But, my hair grows in this weird vase-like pattern so that the outer edges of my bangs curve inward and require a lot of maintenance. Also, my bangs grow like an inch a week, so I'm constantly having to trim them. Also, my forehead totally breaks out when I have bangs.

So, which one wins? Looking good or everything else?

I have bangs.