Mrs. Nurse Boy here.
Ah, Friday! Today I have an awesome recipe to share with you. On our date last Saturday, Nurse Boy bought me the new Hungry Girl cookbook. I love trying her recipes. I am going to be honest, they can be hit or miss. But, the hits have been well worth the misses. This week we tried a new recipe out of Hungry Girl 200 Under 200 (200 Recipes Under 200 Calories). We LOVED this stuff and I plan to make it often from now on!
Go Greek Chicken Salad
(You can just eat this as a salad or stuff it into some whole wheat wraps. We ate them as wraps and they were so yummy.)
Ingredients for 2 servings:
6 ounces cooked chicken breast, roughly chopped
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup crumbled fat-free feta cheese with Mediterranean herbs (plain will work, but TRUST ME, you want the stuff with the Mediterranean herbs!)
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
2 tablespoons canned sliced black olives
(Optional: You can add salt, black pepper, or lemon juice, but I did not.)
1. Combine yogurt and mayo until mixed well. (I know this sounds gross but it isn't.)
2. Add remaining ingredients and stir until coated.
3. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes for the best flavor.
This stuff is fabulous stuffed in a wrap! And, I must confess that:
1. I didn't even try feeding this to the kids. I know Bruiser would gobble it up and ask for seconds. Dimples would choke a very small serving down and ask for a bowl of cereal. Sweet Pea wouldn't even touch it with her chubby little fingers, much less her lips. I decided I didn't want to face any rejection the night I prepared this meal, so out came the blue box of Mac-n-Cheese. They didn't complain and Nurse Boy and I had leftovers for lunch the next day. It was a win/win. So, here's hoping your kids aren't as picky as mine!
2. I couldn't find the fat-free feta cheese with Mediterranean herbs. I didn't have time to run around town for cheese with three kids strapped to me. Although, I do love cheese and I hate fat. Instead, I was lazy and went ahead and bought the FAT PACKED feta. I am so thankful I did. The herbs were a fabulous addition! So, I hope you can find it in fat free, but I highly recommend getting the feta with the herbs, no matter how you slice it... Sorry! I couldn't resist!
I must apologize for the lack of pictures this week. Would you believe that my camera broke while I was cooking this meal?! I am hoping and praying that it can be fixed and that it won't cost an arm and a leg. I don't think I can survive for too long without that thing! I didn't go digital until 2 years ago. Now, I refuse to go back to film...but, guess what, the film camera still works and I have never had any problems with it in the last 10 years. Go figure. But, I am trying to become close friends with technology. This isn't helping matters.
Have a wonderful weekend!
1 day ago