~Poop On Jelly~

Our Family's Bitter/Sweet Life



Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Fare!

Mrs. Nurse Boy here.

So, here it is! My first Friday Fare. I really do hope this helps someone, anyone, who might be stuck in a rut. I've been there. What am I talking about? I don't even know what we are having for dinner TONIGHT. I am there!

Let me start off by saying that I will be sharing our favorite chicken recipes each Friday. These are recipes that I have made MILLIONS of times (or so it seems). However, these are not necessarily items that are requested by anyone under the age of 10 in our home. They do eat it. Most of the time. And, sometimes, without tears or gaging.

The thing most requested around here is to eat OUT. Aren't they sweet? I love them. I really do. Just not at mealtime.

My children think a chicken nugget is heaven on a plate. I do not. However, I DO have a chicken tender recipe that is much healthier than the ones that are deep fried and served via drive thru. They have decided they can stomach that recipe, but nothing compares to the golden arches. Grrr...

So, today I will start off with a staple recipe here in the Nurse Boy family. It is simple, easy, tasty, and something that can be adapted to your family's preferences. I should also say that we are all wimps when it comes to hot and spicy. We are a mild kind of family. You can add all the kick you want, you just won't find it in my recipes.

Chicken Soft Tacos

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 cup thick-n-chunky salsa (I use mild.)
1 pkg (1 1/4 oz.) taco seasoning mix
2 cups minute rice, uncooked (I use brown rice)
flour tortillas (I use 6 to 8 inch)
**optional: I add a can of rinsed black beans at the very end. (Beans are like sponges when it comes to cholesterol, so we try to put them in as much stuff as we can. We have found black beans to be our favorite.)

1. Heat chicken in a skillet until lightly browned. (Use a little oil, if you like. I like to sprinkle some chili powder or taco seasoning mix on the chicken while it is cooking to give it flavor.)
2. Add 2 cups water, salsa, and seasoning mix; stir. Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in rice, cover. Cook on low heat 5 minutes (a little longer for brown rice). (I add the black beans after this step.)

All finished! Place mixture in tortillas. Top with cheese and sour cream! I have even been known to freeze the left over mixture and use it again later on in the month. I reheat it on the stove top and add a little more salsa to it.

This recipe is ranked edible by all in our house. And, that is saying something!

I hope it is a hit at your house. If not, just LOOK AWAY while they gag.

3 comments:

Boy Mom said...

Yum, have you ever bought the tortillas that your cook yourself at home? So good, I get mine at Costco.

I, believe we'll try this tonight.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the lure of the Golden Arches.

Or more accurately stated, the lure of whatever toy d'jour they have in the Happy Meal. AM is happy with any burger/chicken nugget from any of the fast food joints.

McD's gets top billing because they had Star Wars toys FOLLOWED by Batman, then Hot Wheels. It was eight year old boy euphoria. Don't ask me why I know what the toy history has been (or why I know they currently have Madagascar toys).

Your chicken recipe sounds yummy.

Chrisi and Silas said...

these sound delicious! I am going to try them for sure....and if you wnat, use my chicken pot pie recipe for Friday Fare. It super yummy and REALLY easy to make.

and OF COURSE you can add me to your blog roll.