~Poop On Jelly~

Our Family's Bitter/Sweet Life



Wednesday, June 24, 2009

If you give a kid a cookie...

they will probably expect to snack on them all summer long.
Truth be told, they are not the only ones around here that enjoy a good cookie. I am always on the hunt for healthy cookie recipes. OK, so maybe "healthy" and cookie seem like a little bit of an oxymoron, but you know what I mean...something with whole grains, wheat flour, less sugar, etc.
A few years ago I got my hands on a recipe that we enjoy pretty often around here. I still am on the fence as to whether or not they are "healthy." How about "healthier?" They do have some protein, fiber, and calcium packed into these babies.

Since the kids are home for the summer and seem to be asking for a snack ALL the time (and, please tell me it's not just MY kids), I thought I would share a family favorite.



Banana Bread Cookies
1 cup (2 large) ripe bananas (I usually use 3 large bananas)
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat bananas, brown sugar, honey, oil, and egg until well-combined.

2. Add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined.

3. Stir in chocolate.

4. Drop tablespoons of batter onto greased baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until cookies are golden-brown.

These are really different and definitely remind you of banana bread. They are a soft cookie with substance. We love having them around. They also freeze well, so you will often find a bag or two of these in my freezer.

Hope you love them as much as we do!

9 comments:

Mummy McTavish said...

I'd call that healthy. I do have very low standards but it's got real fruit in it and that about does it for me.

I might have to give these a go while we are on holidays.

I was just about to start a post about my kids need for food. all.the.time. glad to know I'm not alone.

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

I'll give them a whirl...they sound delish!

Funny, I just posted a 'healthish' cookie recipe today too!

Mother Mayhem said...

MMM. :o)

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Wow...those sound really good-
For me, to make cookies, I need to substitute things for eggs and milk products due to our baby's food allergies. So-there is not much substituting I will need to do here-I am on this one!!!
Merci!

Boy Mom said...

Yum, now I want cookies! My mom makes a similar version but adds oatmeal.

The summer snacking thing is driving me bonkers! All their friends want snacks too??? Go Home And Eat!!! and take my kids with you.

Boy Mom said...

Ahh, I just read all the posts I missed over the past week or so. I feel human again. Love Ya!

MotherT said...

The recipe sounds good, but WHY do cookies have to be healthy???? You are determined not to leave me with any bad food vices!!!

momstheword said...

They do look yummy! I love banana bread so I'll bet I'd love these!

Oh, and thanks for the Angelina Jolie comment.....I wish, lol!

Jewel said...

Healthy and Cookies seem like oxymorons to me. But yours do sound good, Mrs.NB. My fams favorite cookie is cream cheese cookies and oh are they yummy AND the easiest cookie to make EVER!!!