~Poop On Jelly~

Our Family's Bitter/Sweet Life



Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Seeing the Fruit, For Once

Mrs. Nurse Boy here.

Last Friday night we left the kids with my parents while we spent the evening with Nurse Boy's coworkers. They all work in a GI Lab, so you can only imagine the conversations they share over a meal and a little wine. I won't blog about that. I will suffer in silence.

My parents ventured out with the kids while we were gone. They went to dinner and stopped for ice cream. Oh, to be a grandparent! To think that dinner out will be enjoyable, relaxing, and affordable. I look forward to the day! That day is NOT today. Or tomorrow. As a matter of a fact, it might be decades away.

Anyway, they took the kids to a locally owned restaurant/cafe in the downtown area of our own little suburbia. Apparently, a good time was had by all, including the owners.

The next morning, Nurse Boy and I decided it was a perfect day for a fall walk to the city market. The cafe is located next to the city market. After we bought some fresh produce and the kids put their paws on EVERYTHING in sight, Nurse Boy and I decided to head into the cafe and treat ourselves to overpriced lattes.

(Why, I ask, does coffee taste better when it costs the same as an entire meal?)

The owner immediately recognized our kids from the night before. He went out of his way to tell us how well behaved and well mannered all of our kids were. He was so sincere and genuine. One of his employees overheard the conversation. She was stunned, to say the least. She told us that he really isn't "into" kids and if he said they were well behaved, he must have really been impressed. She had never before heard him complement some one's kids.

It was a blessing to hear that from a complete stranger. Training children is exhausting and it can SEEM fruitless. But, it isn't. Our kids aren't perfect, but they are sweet, caring, kind, and loving kids. We have always prayed that they would be a blessing to us and everyone they are around. We pray they shine the light of Jesus everywhere they go.

So, sorry if I have bored you with all of my bragging today, but... it's my blog and I'll brag if I want to, brag if I want to. You would brag to, if it happened to you... (WHY is that old song from the sixties in my head, anyway?!)

2 comments:

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

If someone is going to go out of their way to praise the behavior of your children, you have a right to SHOUT IT FROM THE HOUSETOPS!!!

Jewel said...

I don't think there is any greater compliment a parent can receive than when SOMEONE ELSE praises our children. The Lord knows that we surely need the encouragment. I mean, we may feel that we are doing our best and then something like THIS happens and it is sooooo encouraging to discover that we ARE doing something RIGHT!! God Bless!